Friday, January 28, 2011

Goodbye, Bonnie


Ok, if you are not an animal lover, dont read this unless you need more ammunition to make fun of me with.

Nine years ago, my wife and i decided to buy a "test" baby.  We mistakenly thought we would have no problems getting pregnant and that the dog would be a good trial.  We went to Paragould, and picked out a small black and white fur ball that would change our lives forever.  From the second I saw her, and the way she looked at me with her sassy little smooshed in face, I knew this was my dog.  I remember her laying in her little box by the bed that first night, whimpering for her momma.  I remember how she shook until we picked her up to comfort her scared little heart.  Over the past 9 years, Bonnie has grown from a small little ball of fur, into something more than just a pet.  She was my baby, my daughter, a friend for when I was sick or sad; Bonnie meant so much to me.  I can fondly remember the way she would come bounding towards the door when I open it, mouth open eyes alert; or the way she would drag her skinny narrow little ass up on the couch to snuggle with me.  I cannot count the number of times that I absent mindedly stroked her back while watching television.  The way her little body felt all warm laying in bed next to me or the way the comforter that she napped on always smelt like Fritos!

Flash forward to 9 months ago and the birth of my children.  Lilah and Jonah changed my perspective.  My long time friend was suddenly pushed back in the pecking order.  Love her as I do, I cannot put her ahead of my own flesh and blood.  I am forced to pay more attention to them than her, forced to push her away when she gets to close to my children.  It isn't fair, and I swear I could see that in her eyes.  I have been torn for months now, Bonnie has steadily become depressed, always laying on the couch staring at me.  She no longer runs towards me, or interacts with me like she used to.  I am not being fair to her, and I hate it but I cannot help the decision that I had to make. 

Tonight my wife sent me a text, "its done.  She is gone."  My world crumbled around me, no more little bundle of warmth on my couch next to me, no more smell of fritos over taking me when I shake out blankets. Our relationship was not always happiness and joy, there were many times that I got so angry at her that I put her little ass in her cage and left her there to sulk.  I wasn't the perfect daddy to her, I know this.  I hope the new family that she belongs to treats her better than we have of late, I hope they will shower her with affection and love that she deserves.  She is a wonderful little companion and she deserves to be loved again. 

So, its with saddness in my heart that I say Goodbye Bonster.  I will miss you and I hope you are happy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment